For reasons of technical obsolescence, will not be migrating with us to our new website and will be shutting down on 31 July 2020. All content will be archived in a usable format, accessible upon request, pending a decision on a possible future successor.

First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

Hi!i'm italian and i study japanese at University of Venice. I looking for a master in conference interpreting which include japanese. I find something at London Metropolitian University but i read a lot of negative comments.I hear about Leeds,it seems very good but in the website i noticed that there isnt' japanese. Someone can help me?

asked 16 Feb '16, 18:19

la_elly_'s gravatar image


edited 17 Feb '16, 06:44

Andy's gravatar image


Hi Elisa,

if no decent conference interpreting program is offering that language pair, it might be because it isn't likely to give you enough work to pay rent. Will you find enough clients to work about a 100 days per year in the conference segment? If so, will you be able to find a colleague who has the same languages? If not, that's a bit of a problem: you can't do simultaneous interpreting alone for a whole day.

On the other hand, you could do liaison/business interpreting, provided that service is in demand.

permanent link

answered 17 Feb '16, 03:49

Gaspar's gravatar image

Gaspar ♦♦


Contact ISIT Paris:

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 17 Feb '16, 03:12

David's gravatar image


There are no schools listed at the AIIC Schools Finder teaching Japanese into Italian. And no AIIC interpreters either. There are probably very few interpreters at all with that combination, let alone teachers.

For a school in Europe you would probably have to ask them specifically if they could accommodate you some how. For example by allowing you to sit in on JP-EN classes with an Italian teacher who has EN but not JP.

The other option is to look at studying in Japan, where you have 2 options. A university or an agency run school. The only university listed by AIIC, Tokyo, doesn't teach IT. The agency schools are very well respected in Japan and probably the main route onto the market there. SIMUL is one of them, but there are others. I can't give you any more info than that I'm afraid - I don't know how to find the others, nor if any teach Italian.

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 17 Feb '16, 03:49

Andy's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 16 Feb '16, 18:19

question was seen: 3,421 times

last updated: 17 Feb '16, 03:49 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.