First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

I looked at the AIIC directory and couldn't find a University that offers the language combination. Is it adviceable to study the degree for Japanese-English? Spanish is my mother tongue.

asked 04 Sep '15, 16:28

ronieves's gravatar image


Thanks for the information! I consider that I have a proficient level of English, and French as a passive language. I checked the website of ISIT and it seems that French is required as one of the working languages. Based on that and on what Gáspár said, is this combination possible?

A: Spanish B: Japanese and English C: French

(06 Sep '15, 14:04) ronieves

I remember having colleagues with ABB and ABCC combinations at ISIT, but I never met an ABBC. I am not saying this combination does not exist out there, but my humble opinion is that you should probably focus on one of your B's (preferably the strongest one) during your CI training.

Yes, both French and English are compulsory at ISIT, in A, B or C.

As Gáspár said, your JA will be much more useful as a B. The combination ES (A), JA (B), EN (C), FR (C) could be a good one to apply with at ISIT.

Having said that, keep in mind that the admission jury will have the final word on your combination after the admissibility and admission tests.

(07 Sep '15, 02:56) David

Hi Rodrigo,

Are you planning to do a master's in conference interpreting? Do you have a university degree already? Do you have EN and FR in addition to your JA?

If the answer to the previous questions is yes, then you could contact ISIT, Paris. You can probably do your master's with JA>ES there provided that you have FR and EN in addition to your JA. They will give you more details.

Is it adviceable to study the degree for Japanese-English? Spanish is my mother tongue.

If ES is your mother tongue (your A language), then you have to find a course in which you work into your A and from your A, in the case you have a B. So, if I understood your question well (let me know if I didn't), the answer is no.

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 06 Sep '15, 07:33

David's gravatar image


edited 06 Sep '15, 16:16

Hi Rodrigo,

as David has hinted, as an ES native, JA would only make sense if it were your B language, as this pair would be used on the private market where a retour is expected.

permanent link

answered 06 Sep '15, 10:59

Gaspar's gravatar image

Gaspar ♦♦

If I don't feel confident to put Japanese as B language, is it possible to put it first as C and then certify it as B? So it would be A: Spanish B: English C: Japanese and French.

(07 Sep '15, 23:27) ronieves

Hi, follow the link above to find out more about B languages.

(08 Sep '15, 02:49) Gaspar ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 04 Sep '15, 16:28

question was seen: 6,557 times

last updated: 08 Sep '15, 03:17 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.