First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

I was accepted into the Translation/Interpretation (Chinese/English) programs at the Monterey Institute of International Studies at Monterey and Beijing Foreign Studies University. As a non-native Mandarin speaker, I am leaning towards BFSU so I can keep honing my Chinese skills in an immersive environment, while doing some translation work part-time. If I work as an interpreter in the US, will a degree from BFSU be recognized? I hope to work as a conference interpreter. Which school would be better for my long-term career development?

asked 13 Jun '15, 11:23

Sue's gravatar image


edited 13 Jul '15, 07:00

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

I am sorry not to be able to answer your question directly, and don't want to add to your considerations, but have you also considered the new interpreting school at the University of Maryland? They definitely have Chinese, and would give you entry to a different US market as it is next door to Washington DC.

permanent link

answered 22 Jun '15, 07:30

JuliaP's gravatar image


I think that given that Chinese is your B language, BFSU is probably the better bet, assuming it is a recognized, serious school (I don't know anything about the schools in China, so let's just assume it is). Particularly given that clients tend to have a lot of hangups when it comes to hiring Westerners with Chinese B (or Americans with a B in general...)

I got my degree outside the US, and yes, it is recognized and I am working. There is no official "professional title" system in the US like there is in some Latin American countries, so as long as you have the piece of paper and can pass the test, you can interpret. To be honest, I think that even in the US, non-American degrees are often seen in a more positive light than American programs, for a variety of reasons. If you were to get translation work (from Chinese into your English A), Chinese clients would immediately recognize the Chinese school.

Plus, you'll save a bundle.

permanent link

answered 24 Jun '15, 17:24

InesdC's gravatar image


How true is that if you're abroad and speak your second language perfectly? I could see that being an issue if you're working in an English-speaking environment, and could definitely see that if you're interpreting with a merely conversational grasp of the language.

(24 Jun '15, 21:32) Adrian Lee D...

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you are admitted to an interpreting MA program, you have much more than a conversational grasp of your languages. The OP here isn't interpreting right now, and of course any time in the country where they speak your B will be good for your B language.

permanent link

answered 24 Jun '15, 21:35

InesdC's gravatar image


Thanks for your sound advice, InesdC, and for confirming my hunches! I've indeed decided to attend BFSU, since my Chinese is far from perfect, and because I can network with my fellow students (the program has 59 Chinese students).

permanent link

answered 25 Jun '15, 02:02

Sue's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 13 Jun '15, 11:23

question was seen: 6,220 times

last updated: 25 Jun '15, 02:02 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.