First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

Hello, I am a student of ukranian university and I study on the faculty of romanic philology. In future I'd like to get master in interpretation. Do I have to go on the faculty of translators so in future I will be able to study master from translation?

asked 21 Dec '14, 15:39

Inoka's gravatar image


edited 23 Dec '14, 07:34

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

Do I have to go on the faculty of translators so in future I will be able to study master from translation?

You can usually do a masters programme in conference interpreting without having a prior bachelors degree in translation or interpreting. But admission rules vary, so it's better if you check directly with the interpreting school/faculty offering your language combination.

Here are also two articles that might interest you:

permanent link

answered 21 Dec '14, 15:56

Gaspar's gravatar image

Gaspar ♦♦

The short answer is: no, you don't.

Generally, you may pursue interpreting studies after pretty much any B.A./M.A. Do check the requirements of the universities you might consider in the future, though. For example, for the Master's program I've graduated from, a diploma in languages/linguistics/'philology' (but not necessarily translation!) is required (which might have something to do with the higher education system in my country). However, with a non-linguistic diploma I would still have a couple of other options to study CI in my language combination.

permanent link

answered 21 Dec '14, 15:58

Joanna's gravatar image


Hello! Different countries have different systems, so please do find out what your chosen interpretation school requires. In many schools, as long as you have the requisite knowledge of your languages, and the appropriate entry degree (a BA before starting an MA for example), you could certainly start a CI degree. There are also schools that require you to get your degree in both written translation and oral interpretation, so may have different requirements again. So make sure you do your research based on the school/s you wish to attend.

permanent link

answered 27 Dec '14, 07:25

JuliaP's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 21 Dec '14, 15:39

question was seen: 2,785 times

last updated: 27 Dec '14, 07:25 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.