First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

On the ISIT website (link) says that applicants must have spent "at least one year in a country where their B or C language is spoken".

I have already emailed ISIT to no avail. Can anyone confirm whether this means 12 months abroad in total (ie 12 months in Germany but no time in France, or 6 months in each) or 12 months for each B/C language (eg 12 months in Germany AND 12 months in France).

Many thanks


(Replies welcome in English, French or German... or any language I can use Google Translate with!)

asked 30 Nov '14, 08:20

cmdexe's gravatar image


edited 27 Apr '15, 01:50

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

Just got an email back from admissions at ISIT.

"You have to have spent 12 months in a French, German OR Russian speaking country, but not 12 months in each."

That answers that question, then!

permanent link

answered 01 Dec '14, 07:31

cmdexe's gravatar image


The minimum administrative requirements aside you probably should still spend at least 12 months in each country (at least in total if not consecutively). Barring those with a bi-lingual family background it's very difficult to get the required level without spending such long periods in the relevant countries.

(01 Dec '14, 10:59) Andy

I quite agree. It is just good to know what I have to be able to prove I have done.

(01 Dec '14, 11:06) cmdexe

It means a minimum of 12 months for each B/C language.

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 30 Nov '14, 08:42

David's gravatar image


So for the combination ACCC you need to have spent 3 years abroad? That's a bit rough, when other universities ask for 3 months or thereabouts. Thanks for the response though!

(30 Nov '14, 09:57) cmdexe

Actually this is only one of the criteria, but your admissibility will depend on several other factors too. They will study your dossier as a whole and then come to a decision.

In any case, three months abroad are not enough to build a strong-enough C language, unless you are raised bilingual or educated in the foreign language in question in the country you live in.

And ISIT is not just "a university", but one of the most renowned interpreting schools in the world. Therefore, the admission process, as you said, is rough.

(30 Nov '14, 10:36) David

Yeah don't worry, I'm not applying. It's just out of interest.

(30 Nov '14, 11:35) cmdexe

That's a bit rough, when other universities ask for 3 months or thereabouts

But do those other universities have the same rate of people actually making it as conference interpreters after they are awarded their degree? If not, there's little to no point spending time and money on one of those courses with lesser requirements.

(30 Nov '14, 11:48) Gaspar ♦♦

ESIT's web page says: -séjour d'au moins 12 mois consécutifs dans un pays de la langue B ; -séjour de 6 mois consécutifs dans un pays de chaque langue C fortement conseillé.

If I'm not mistaken, ESIT has a good Masters in Conference Interpreting, doesn't it? (And it's cheaper than ISIT).

According to AIIC, the ETI requires applicants to have spent 6 months in countries where their B/C languages are spoken. And I think ETI has a good CI Masters too (and cheaper).

So maybe you can be a good candidate and get into a good school without having spent at least 3 whole years in 3 different countries, and even spend less money on it?

(30 Nov '14, 12:04) Eztizen

That's a point, does it always have to be a certain number of months consecutively? Because I am studying 2 languages, I will be splitting up my year abroad between the 2 languages, so if I spend 7 months in two different countries, would that not even count?

Maybe it depends between universities. It is worth noting that I have spent a reasonable amount of time looking this all up, I'm asking because I've not found the info, and this is the perfect resource for finding out.

(30 Nov '14, 13:20) cmdexe

For ESIT, can someone explain specifically what the second part of this means?

Il est conseillé d'avoir effectué un séjour d'au moins 6 mois consécutifs dans un pays de chaque langue C. Attention : pour les candidats avec trois langues C, un séjour de 12 mois est obligatoire dans le pays de l'une ou plusieurs des langues C.

I am looking to apply with the combination ACCC, so the second part applies to me, does the fact that "le pays" is singular mean that there has to be a stay of 12 months in just one country?

Thanks in advance

(01 Dec '14, 07:09) cmdexe
showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Let me just remind you that you need to have completed your 12 months spent abroad when you wish to register online for the admission exams in January or February. I asked them about their admission acquirements and this is the answer I got:

Effectivement, pour l'Interprétation il faut que vous ayez votre licence au moment de votre inscription.

Attention il faut également que vous ayez terminé un séjour d'au moins 12 mois consécutifs dans le pays de votre langue B (ce séjour doit être terminé au moment de votre inscription).

permanent link

answered 01 Dec '14, 19:39

Rico's gravatar image



That's a good point, thanks for the comment. I think by the time I apply, I will have spent a reasonable amount of time abroad, maybe it will be acceptable...maybe not:

French: 10 consecutive months, plus a stay of 3 months

German: 12 consecutive months, plus 2 individual months

Russian: 4 consecutive months, plus 2 individual months, plus being partway through a 12 month stay at the time of application (applying 6 months after finishing my degree in German and Russian at Cambridge)

I hope that will be okay. If not, we shall see, it's not as if I will only be applying for the one master's course, they're a bit too competitive to have all your eggs in one basket.

(02 Dec '14, 03:32) cmdexe
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 30 Nov '14, 08:20

question was seen: 4,497 times

last updated: 02 Dec '14, 03:33 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.