First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy
3
2

It's quite common to receive multiple options during a peak period for the same day.

As a beginner it can be quite confusing to know what to accept and when. If you already have an option for a given date, do you accept further options for the same date or do you wait for that option to be confirmed?

What is the common practice?

asked 25 Nov '11, 14:38

Marta%20Piera%20Marin's gravatar image

Marta Piera ... ♦
2.7k182850

edited 25 Nov '11, 15:15

Vincent%20Buck's gravatar image

Vincent Buck ♦♦
3.9k203350

1

Mmm... That question does not get enough love. Let's bump it up the home page and see whether it attracts new answers

(03 Apr '12, 18:12) Vincent Buck ♦♦

...standard practice is to let the potential 2nd recruiter know that you already have a previous option - which will therefore have first approval rights, ie if anything else is confirmed, before you accept you must give 1st optioner a chance to confirm or release you, usually 24h - which means accepting that 2nd option only if 2nd recruiter is ok with your having a 1st... and you should then let 1st know that you've accepted a 2nd on that basis. Your next question is probably going to be how much, if anything, can you let each optioner know about the other option: if you were able, on the basis of particulars supplied, to determine that it's the same assignment, I would tell both that the options are for the same meet, although names of recruiters, unless they tell you otherwise, should remain confidential. Your third question may also be whether to share with potential recruiters the names of your boothmate/s, if already known to you, and that for both this scenario or one when you must turn down options on the strenght of confirmed offers: I see no harm in doing so, seeing as how that'll save recruiters time and effort trying to get hold of colleagues who are no longer available.

This is our profession and our bread-winner, and nobody is - or should be :-) - under the delusion that they're the sole operators on the market: as always, above-board professionalism will win the day...and if you deal with your potential recruiters as you'd want them to deal with you when they become your potential recruitees, all should be well :-) .

permanent link

answered 27 Nov '11, 13:14

msr's gravatar image

msr
4.6k6923

+1 for "if you deal with your potential recruiters as you want them to deal with you...all should be well."

(27 Nov '11, 13:26) Angela ♦

:-) it's only the old "do unto others as etc" wise advice indeed! :-))

(28 Nov '11, 11:57) msr

As soon as you get a second option for a given date, let the second recruiter know that you have a first option (unconfirmed as of yet) and ask if they can wait until you check the status on the first option. Recruiters will typically accept to wait 24 hs., since they are very likely to have selected you on the basis of your qualifications, professional attitude and/or a recommendation rather than because your name appears first on some interpreters' list. Then call your first recruiter immediately to let him/her know that you have a second option. The first recruiter is also very likely to do everything in his/her power to quickly find out if they can confirm or release you, for they will not want to feel responsible for your losing both work options.

Your first recruiter will surely appreciate it if you help by holding your answer to the second recruiter for as long as you (and/or the second recruiter) can reasonably manage. After all, there is a high chance that the roles will be reversed some day, and what goes around comes around. This applies even if you personally liked the second option better than the first one. But don't worry - this is also likely to work out the other way around next time.

permanent link

answered 04 Apr '12, 17:41

Laura's gravatar image

Laura
671459

edited 04 Apr '12, 17:48

Voilà comment je gère la situation où l'on me propose une seconde option pour une journée où j'ai déjà accepté une option :

Si je préfère la deuxième option, je demande à l'auteur de la première option (en tout cas prioritaire) de confirmer ou de me libérer (avec le risque pour moi que la deuxième option ne se concrétise pas).

Si je préfère la première option, je n'accepte pas la seconde.

Il me paraît extrêmement périlleux d'accepter deux options pour une même journée. Même si les auteurs des deux options sont d'accord, ils risquent de vouloir "se couvrir" en proposant l'option à une tierce personne. Cela ne fait qu'aggraver la dérive que constitue la généralisation des options.

permanent link

answered 18 Jul '13, 15:45

leprof's gravatar image

leprof
3763

Rather than open a new thread, I've decided to post a related question here: Is there such as thing as a "firm option"?

I'm thinking of private market; when a consultant interpreter or other intermediary (agency) offers you an "option", is it understood that you will definitely be hired if he/she/it gets the job? Or would you have to ask if it is a "firm option" to have such a guarantee?

Or in even simpler terms, has anyone heard of a "firm option"?

permanent link

answered 15 Jul '13, 22:00

Luigi's gravatar image

Luigi
2.0k61623

... IMHO, if it's firm it's an offer, not an option :-).

An option serves to ascertain a colleague's present availability and willingness to accept a future offer, if and when it's made.

I would indeed expect an option to turn into an offer, if and when the optioner is able to confirm... but do not regard an accepted option as "entitling" the optionee to said job, I can think of several scenarios where an offer would not materialise despite the conference being confirmed.

permanent link

answered 15 Jul '13, 22:17

msr's gravatar image

msr
4.6k6923

So, do you think that people offer more options than seats they have to fill in the booths?

(16 Jul '13, 01:21) Luigi

...not normally, no... but might happen, say when the organiser is still unsure about the language regime or the exact number of conference rooms, which may depend on enrolments, or the exact duration of a day's work, which may finally only require double instead of triple booths.

(16 Jul '13, 06:20) msr

Should he/she/it inform the interpreter of all that when offering an option?

(16 Jul '13, 10:05) Luigi

... the organiser? Very much so...IF those facts are known at the time of the original contact and ensuing options, AND made known to the recruiter, which isn't necessarily or always the case,that's why some options may not result in offers, despite the conference being confirmed.

(16 Jul '13, 23:36) msr
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×480
×86
×43
×4
×3

question asked: 25 Nov '11, 14:38

question was seen: 4,027 times

last updated: 18 Jul '13, 15:45

interpreting.info is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.