For reasons of technical obsolescence, will not be migrating with us to our new website and will be shutting down on 31 July 2020. All content will be archived in a usable format, accessible upon request, pending a decision on a possible future successor.

First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

I am a native speaker of Russian and speak Spanish and English and in 3 years I'd like to do a master in conference interpreting abroad. With a Russian A is it possible to study outside of Russia or Ukraine. I would like to train for ENG-RUS and SPA-RUS.

asked 10 Aug '14, 04:35

Eoners's gravatar image


edited 27 Apr '15, 01:51

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

Eoners, refer to this question:

You can search for schools with your combination in the AIIC Schools Directory:

(10 Aug '14, 04:53) Delete ♦

Im open to any language pair and any market, the only thing I want is to work out of my country.

(30 Aug '14, 14:10) Eoners

Im open to work in any language pair and any market, the only thing I want is to work as a conference interpreter out of my country. Im pretty good at languages, so it does not really matter.

(30 Aug '14, 14:12) Eoners

Hi Eoners,

ISIT (Paris) offers EN>RU and ES>RU, but you would need a B language or an extra C in order to be eligible, preferably FR, as it is a prerequisite.

Good luck! ;)

permanent link

answered 10 Aug '14, 07:06

David's gravatar image


edited 10 Aug '14, 08:02

And one more question, if my mother tongue isn´t english or spanish I can´t take master in russian-spanish?

(10 Aug '14, 07:19) Eoners

I am not sure I understood your question correctly. If your Spanish is a B, then yes, you could interpret from Russian into Spanish.

With this combination (RU A, ES B, EN C) you still would not be eligible for ISIT Paris as you also need to have FR (C/B).

I hope I answered your question.

(10 Aug '14, 07:29) David

Hmm, look, my native language is russian and I'd like to be a conference translator of any language I know (german, polish, spanish, english) it doesn't matter which one. If I approve my knowledges of any language of the country I want to study in, may I study on the rights of a citizen of that coutnry? And 1 more thing. A language is my native, b- is my second best language and C- my third?

(10 Aug '14, 07:34) Eoners

As for the A, B, C languages, please have a look at this link:

permanent link

answered 10 Aug '14, 08:03

David's gravatar image


Regarding your rights as a citizen, I guess it will depend on the country you end up studying in. However, I believe this has nothing to do with your language combination. I suggest you decide which are the languages you want to/can work with and then check which programs fit your needs. You can use this directory ( for that purpose.

(10 Aug '14, 08:11) David

One question is still isn't clear for me. May I study conference interpetating from my B language(spanish) to my A language(russian) in spain?

(10 Aug '14, 08:34) Eoners

Hello Eoners,

You need to figure out if you want to be a conference interpreter for institutions like the UN or the EU (where, quite frankly, there are already a lot of Russian A interpreters), in which case you need lots of passive languages all working into Russian. And you will definitely need French as well as English and Spanish and anything else.

Or would you rather work on the private market as well as for some other institutions than the UN or EU, in which case you should get a degree in an A<>B combination, such as RU<>ES or RU<>EN.

I don't know what the RU<>ES market is like, but RU<>EN will open more doors for you (and give you much more competition as well). International organizations that have had work in that combination that I know of include the OECD, UNESCO, Council of Europe, and NATO.

If you choose RU<>EN, I know that there are universities in the UK that offer that combination, as well as interpreting schools in Paris, and one in Monterey California.

permanent link

answered 09 Nov '14, 20:36

JuliaP's gravatar image


Contact the MIC administration and tell them about your situation. They may be able to help. According to the directory I showed you, they are the only ones offering this language pair in Spain. However, I doubt they offer you EN>RU or ES>RU lessons. Ask them.

permanent link

answered 10 Aug '14, 08:49

David's gravatar image


It also depends to a great degree if you want to work more on the US or European market. They are every different and it will determine your choice of schools.

permanent link

answered 27 Aug '14, 20:42

Cyril%20Flerov's gravatar image

Cyril Flerov

edited 29 Aug '14, 21:14

What about ETI for such combinations? I think they offer Russian A. I think you need to pass a French test though if French isn't in your combination.

permanent link

answered 15 Nov '14, 23:20

Myra45's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 10 Aug '14, 04:35

question was seen: 21,317 times

last updated: 15 Nov '14, 23:20 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.