For reasons of technical obsolescence, will not be migrating with us to our new website and will be shutting down on 31 July 2020. All content will be archived in a usable format, accessible upon request, pending a decision on a possible future successor.

First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

Hello everybody,

I was wondering, where to study Interpretation in the USA with German as your mother language, English as your B and Spanish as your C language.

It seems that most programmes are for English/Spanish and only the big (and also more expensive) universities (e.g. Monterrey) offer German as well. Any ideas where I can find further information about this topic?

Thanks in advance!

asked 06 Aug '14, 16:42

interpretingirl's gravatar image


edited 27 Apr '15, 01:52

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

Monterey is definitely the best program in the USA. Do check the Schools Directory of the International Association of Conference Interpreters (aiic) at

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 06 Aug '14, 16:54

Danielle's gravatar image


In other words you wish to train for the following language pairs:

  • English>German
  • German>English
  • Spanish>German

Run this query on the AIIC Schools Directory, and you'll get a shortlist of schools offering those language pairs, with the best matches on top.

I don't believe it's a good idea to study in the USA if you're going to be a German booth. For instance, they won't train you for Spanish>German over there. You're better off picking a programme in France, Switzerland or Germany. They will also give you a much better exposure to the interpreting markets where your A language will be most in demand.

permanent link

answered 06 Aug '14, 17:27

Vincent%20Buck's gravatar image

Vincent Buck

In the AIIC directory ( there are no schools outside of Europe that would offer Spanish to German, and English to German is taught only at Monterey and the University of Maryland.

Vincent is right, with your A you'll be better off studying interpreting in Europe.

permanent link

answered 06 Aug '14, 18:43

Joanna's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 06 Aug '14, 16:42

question was seen: 9,112 times

last updated: 06 Aug '14, 18:43 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.