First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

I tried to ask this question before, but I don't think I worded it very clearly. My question is whether it is more beneficial to study in a country where my A or B is spoken for CI masters. My A is English and B is French, so I was curious if I should be looking more at UK programmes or at the schools in Paris, Brussels and Geneva. Alternatively, does anyone ever study in a C language country in the hopes of making a C become a B?

asked 03 May '13, 11:12

charlielee's gravatar image


edited 07 May '13, 10:34

Delete's gravatar image

Delete ♦

It's not always the right answer for everyone, but in general I would say "in a country where the B language is spoken".

Your B will always need some improvement and that's almost impossible outside those countries where it's spoken. If your EN isn't good enough you a) shouldn't be admitted to a course and b) are very unlikely ever to improve it anyway. (Improving an A language is extremely difficult and rarely achieved in my experience.)

However, you should make sure that you will be taught interpreting into EN by EN native (A) interpreters if you study in a B language country.

There is another reason for picking a B language country... your future markets. With that combination you will be working in France (most likely Paris), perhaps Canada, perhaps Africa. But not in the UK, where there is very little work. (I imagine there are probably already too many interpreters in Brussels for that market to be much of a prospect. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the FR-EN market in Geneva.) If you are a successful student it is your teachers that will be your first contacts on the market and help get you your first contracts. So it's often advisable to study where you intend to work later.

permanent link

answered 05 May '13, 13:04

Andy's gravatar image


edited 05 May '13, 13:10

All things being equal, I would probably choose the country of the B-language, unless your B is exceptionally good and/or you've spent a lot of time abroad and you feel like your A might have suffered. In the B-language country, you'll benefit from the immersion situation and speaking practice and it will probably be easier to find study partners who are native speakers of your B.

If you have an ACC(C) combination, stydying in a C language country may be a good idea (choose your strongest C then).

permanent link

answered 03 May '13, 11:29

Joanna's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 03 May '13, 11:12

question was seen: 2,956 times

last updated: 05 May '13, 13:10 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.