First-time posters: please review the site's moderation policy

I'm studying in MA Translation and Interpreting and looking for some opportunities to gain working experiences in UK. While I reached out to some translation agencies, I've been asked to provide DBS-some without mentioning which type I should provide (if you have no idea there are three types: basic, standard and enhanced), while others outlining specific requirement of enhanced DBS and suggesting me to apply through their company (it can only be applied through company). One's charge doubles the price in comparison with the cost I checked on the Gov website, making me suspicious of the eligibility of such institute as it was making money through applying DBS certificate instead of providing real job opportunities. I asked my lecturer and her reply was that basic would be fine (she's not very certain I presume).

Is enhanced DBS a necessity? Is this charge reasonable? Thank you very much.

asked 10 Jan '17, 05:12

Lynn%20T's gravatar image

Lynn T

Levels of criminal record check available

 standard checks – To be eligible for a standard level DBS certificate, the position must be included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975.

 enhanced checks – To be eligible for an enhanced level DBS certificate, the position must be included in both the ROA Exceptions Order and in the Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) regulations.

 enhanced checks with children’s and/or adults’ barred list check(s) – To be eligible to request a check of the children’s or adults’ barred lists, the position must be eligible for an enhanced level DBS certificate as above and be specifically included in the Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) regulations as able to check the appropriate barred list(s).

You can access the various Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) regulations by searching for them on This will not provide a list of job roles – such a list does not exist. Instead each regulation can be opened to identify what roles, duties or activities have been included


permanent link

answered 10 Jan '17, 05:57

Gaspar's gravatar image

Gaspar ♦♦

Hello Lynn, in the UK it is necessary to have an enhanced DBS if you work with children or vulnerable adults. So if you work for an agency that provides interpreting services for the NHS, for example, you will need to apply for this check through them. However, I don't think they should charge more that the official price you see on the Government website. If they do, you should try to do it through a different agency.

I signed up with an interpreting agency and they accepted my enhanced DBS certificate that I had applied for previously through a teaching supply agency, and that agency had charged me the same exact price that is advertised on the Government website. I think you should contact several agencies, ask how much they charge to apply for an enhanced DBS on your behalf, and hopefully you will find one that won't overcharge you.

Hope this helps, Chiara

permanent link

answered 12 Jan '17, 06:02

Chirez's gravatar image


Thank you! It is very helpful, I will see through different agencies. Thank you.

(12 Jan '17, 11:56) Lynn T
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:


question asked: 10 Jan '17, 05:12

question was seen: 4,352 times

last updated: 12 Jan '17, 11:56 is a community-driven website open to anyone with questions and/or answers about interpreting, i.e. spoken language translation

about | faq | terms of use | privacy policy | content policy | disclaimer | contact us

This collaborative website is sponsored and hosted by AIIC, the International Association of Conference Interpreters.